Friday, December 6, 2013

Jefferson Hughes–A Tribute

 

JH07_2

I am a Cali girl born and bred with roots in Shreveport Louisiana on my moms side, and Hope Arkansas on my dads. I haven’t yet even met all of my family and except for a couple of visits and family reunions, I would not know the few I do. Still on one such reunion 6 years ago, I had the great occasion to met the eldest member and patriarch of the Hughes Clan, my great grand father Jefferson Hughes. I love that when I met him 6 years ago, at the full age of 90 (He would have made 96 in a couple of weeks), he was still in the pulpit preaching, walking, driving, and of sound mind, filled with wisdom and knowledge.

JH07_3

I loved learning the little I did about him, his father and mother, sisters and brothers, learning of our shared history. Seeing our faces in theirs, gleaning scraps of wisdom from the stories that floated around me. My one regret is that I did not know more of him and the fullness of the life he lived during his 95 years. I cannot help but to feel that great wisdom and knowledge is lost, that we are being left inadequately prepared to successfully navigate this world. Jefferson Hughes was a pastor until the day he died, loving sharing God’s word, and the message of hope it brings. He was a husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, great great grandfather. He was well loved, and will be truly missed. Sending my love and prayers.

JH07_1

No comments:

Post a Comment